Saturday, November 28, 2009

Done!

I have finished some garment pieces recently. I like the knitting part the most but putting it together is my least favorite, so some of these things were waiting for this moment quite a while, I have to say.

First of all, there is W's Big Cable Cardigan; I started it last year before Thanksgiving and was done knitting right after X-mas but it somehow took me a whole year to decide the best solution for the front closure would be the simple zipper. I may have to shorten sleeves at some point and add pockets, but W. seems to generally like it :). (100% Peruvian Wool, KnitPicks Telemark, color Burlap + laceweight Merino in dark and light green and red, pattern inspired by Arans Celtics, Interweave Knits)


Than there is Kohlrabi one - off needles since our mini honeymoon in Utah in June. I like how soft and "organic" the material feels against the skin although I am not so sure how it will keep the shape; the cable&lace pattern looks very nice, I may use it again. (50% linen 50% cotton, KnitPicks Cotlin, color Kohlrabi, pattern modified from Vogue Knits Summer 2005)


Next one is Sky Meadows; I brought the yarn from our 4th July trip to The Planes in Virginia, close to Sky Meadows park :). I never worked with mercerized cotton before; it has smooth glossy surface like silk but the resulting fabric has more stiffness to it. (Schaefer Yarn, 100% cotton,color Empress Wu Zhao, 470 yd & Karabella Vintage Cotton, Denim, 500 yd, my pattern)


And finally, here comes Blue Glacier. Fast knit, except I had to take it apart just after finishing first time, the fit was just not it. I shall always make notes and swatches when designing patterns! (My lesson to learn form that one.)


And - as a happy start - here is a sneak peek to the (near) future. It is hand dyed into shades of a red wine, acquired on our trip to Old Alexandria Torpedo Factory Artworks today.

2 comments: