Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Ghosts of Christmas

I am not sure exactly what still makes me feel so excited about this day. What makes me to follow all the seemingly meaningless traditions I remember from childhood .... May be I would like to bring back that happy time I have saved into memories ...

We used to decorate the tree with my dad, on the morning of his birthday, on the December 24 .. and afterward we all used to go to visit grandpa on cemetery and remembered all who left us forever....this year it will be the ninth year I will be remembering my dad as well ... and my grandparents ... I miss them very much...... oh well, that is life .... anyway, when we got home the carp was ready to be fried ... we used to have a two or three fishes each year, they were swimming for couple of days in bathtub and dad would prepare the fillets the evening before the "Generous Day" as we Czechs call it, the Christmas Eve ... and we would make potato salad with my mom, and pea soup with buttered croutons and dad would put the little fish scale under each plate to make sure the upcoming year is going to be rich and fruitful, although one has to wear the scale in the wallet whole year to make the trick work :).... and if you manage to not eat anything the whole day, you will see the golden pig bringing all the luck at midnight (I never saw one :) ... we would wait for the first star on the horizon ... and we would lit the candle and sit down to have a dinner; nobody should leave the table until we all finished and the candle was extinguished, to ensure we all will stay together next year....and after the dinner there was the presents time under the tree ....and old movies and sweets and a glass of wine latter on...and the reading of the new books...and the fairy tales for next days ....

I miss that but at the same time I try to enjoy whatever traditions I was introduced to here ... for the last eleven or twelve years, I have spent the holidays in Florida, and it is as different as it can be, but I learned to like it ... some of the new things are slowly becoming a part of my own tradition I may, one day, pass on ...


Marry Christmas !

No comments:

Post a Comment